Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Why I Hate Steelers Fans


You need to know something about me. I love the Pittsburgh Steelers. Probably more than a lot of people. I love the team and its history and the legacy and atmosphere at games and the way fans travel to away games. I could write a book on how much I love this team. But you also need to know something else about me. I hate Pittsburgh Steelers fans. A lot of people do. If you are a Steelers fan, then this is something that you already know. People hate us. A lot. Do you want to know why? Well, again, I could write an entire book about that subject as well. You can tell yourself “oh they hate us because they’re jealous we’re so good.” No. They hate us because we’re obnoxious and ignorant. Here is why I hate Steelers fans:

                Broncos fan: Dude, you guys totally got Tebowed last night.
                Steelers fan: Whatever dude we have 6 Super Bowls.

What? WHAT?! HOW is that a legitimate comeback? It’s not. It’s just not. But I cannot tell you how many times I have seen Steelers fans use this in a conversation with other teams’ fans. It needs to stop. I’m sorry, but your team isn’t the best because you have won more Super Bowls than any other team. Saying that the Steelers are the best team is like saying that just because Franklin Delano Roosevelt was the best president just because he served the longest. (FDR really was the best president but that’s a story for a different day…). First of all, 4 of those 6 Super Bowls were won 30+ years ago. Most of you (me included) were not even BORN yet. The guys that won those Super Bowls? Yea, they don’t play anymore. Second of all, just because we won 6 Super Bowls since 1974 does not make us the best team NOW. We got Tebowed this year. The Ravens beat us twice. We barely beat Curtis Painter. Saying that the Steelers have won 6 Super Bowls does not negate any of these facts. And using it as an excuse just does not work.

Want to job a Ravens fan? Talk about Billy Cundiff’s missed field goal (because I’m sorry but that will never NOT be funny). Want to job a Browns fan? I’m not even going to give you an example of how to do that because if you cannot find anything on your own then you clearly know nothing about football. Want to job an Eagles fan? Then, well, use the “we have 6” argument because it’s sad and funny that they still don’t have any. You have my permission.  But if you want to make the rest of the league stop hating you so much, maybe use actual football arguments when you are having football arguments. Do your research. Pull out some statistics. Don’t be a douchebag. Make them hate because we are good, not because we are annoying.

So, for the love of God, please STOP with the “we have 6” defense in every. Single. Argument. Yes, sometimes it can apply and be valid, but usually it makes you look ignorant and stupid and makes everyone hate you. Don’t be a dumb yinzer, be a classy yinzer.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. A lot of Steeler fans come off as obnoxious on my Facebook feed and they are friends. I also noticed that non-western Pennsylvania Steeler fans tend to be more obnoxious as well.

    As for FDR, please. Top 10 at best..;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most STEELERS fans don't bring up the 6 unless the fan of the other team is being absolutely obnoxious in the first place. I hear about "Oh you got Tebowed" Sure we did and it sucks but I also take into account how many starters we had out in that game and that Ben was far off his game because of injury himself. Personally I am proud that the STEELERS were able to take it to overtime. Raven? It was their year no doubt and good for them, it is about time they won the series for a change. But I will tell you this much when I have a loud mouthed Buffalo Bills fan in front of me telling me about how we got Tebowed and we suck because of it I am going to look straight at him/her at say "Got six? Oh that's right you guys don't have any because you only know how to loose in the Superbowl" and take great pleasure in doing so. Does that make us the greatest of all time? In the Super Bowl era it does yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're high, every single Steeler fan in Cleveland brings up the rings. I have a 25 year old Steeler fan that reports to me at work and his biggest and only comeback is 6 rings. I hear 6 rings more than anything when it comes to Steeler fans. They live in the past. Love the post, great insight on what I have been saying for years. Insert Browns joke here ______________________.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Browns have eight titles though, right?

    ReplyDelete